Baby Boy #2 will be here soon! We've chosen the name Park Alexander Bratton. "Park" is my mom's maiden name and "Alexander" is my brother's name. October 22 was my due date, but I'm not expecting the baby any time soon. My OB thinks I will go past my due date (like I did with my first pregnancy).

These babies just don't want to leave Hotel Monica, but I am ready for them to check out! I'm so huge. I get asked everyday if I'm having twins.
| 36 weeks |
Some of you reading this may be thinking, “Wait a minute, I
thought she was having a girl?” Well, funny story (and one that could only
happen to me). I had a doctor friend that said he and his wife took a blood
test to find out the sex of their baby early on. Me being a super-planner, I
wanted to know the sex early on, so I just googled “gender blood test”. The first thing that
popped up was www.sneakpeek.com (FYI –
don’t buy stock in this company). It seemed legit and they even had a lab that
supposedly processed the sample. So, at 9 weeks pregnant, I ordered a kit (it
was only $100), pricked my finger, sent it back, and got an email saying
“Congratulations! You’re having a GIRL!” Obviously, I was ecstatic, and
immediately told all our close friends and relatives we were having a girl. Texted all my sorority sisters saying a little Phi Mu was coming! I
picked out a name, bought a whole set of girly white furniture, designed the
entire nursery, and bought a ton of stuff.
Then, at our 5-month ultrasound, we got
a big surprise... I told the ultrasound technician, “We already know it’s a girl. We
did an early blood test.” She says in a hesitant voice, “That’s weird, I’m
seeing boy parts…” I was like, “Nooooooooo!” Rob was dying laughing, and I
wanted to scream. At first, I was in denial – maybe the technician was wrong,
maybe it is really a girl… But, after talking to my OB, he assured me that the
penis is hard to miss – ha ha! So, all the furniture went back, and all the girl stuff for
my fabulous nursery went into the attic with the hopes that baby #3 will be a
girl.
How ironic that the doctor fell for an internet scam! Only me! I later went
back and started reading mommy blogs about this SneakPeek website, and as it
turns out, this has happened to a bunch of pregnant women. Someone even calculated how
often the site was right based on the comments and it was ~55%. So, basically the same statistics if I had asked a random stranger on the street to guess the sex of my baby. I called the
number on the website, and I’m pretty sure it was someone’s cell phone (it went to voicemail).
I’m picturing a guy sitting on his couch, eating Doritos, getting these test
samples in the mail, and flipping a coin – ha ha!
Anyways, Restoration Hardware was nice enough to exchange
all my adorable girl furniture for some rustic boy furniture. I chose a
“Wilderness” theme after seeing this adorable pin on Pinterest. For this
nursery, I tried my hand at furniture restoration and taxidermy. It was quite
an adventure! Pics to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment