Wow - so much has changed in my baby boy over the past few months! Every
day it seems like he gets bigger and bigger, and he becomes more and more
socially interactive. He is a big smiler now J He loves
when Rob and I talk to him, kiss his tummy, and make funny noises. He has this little
laugh he makes that is incredible! He definitely has started to recognize us
and react when we walk in the room. He slowly started falling asleep earlier
and earlier – initially it was 4 AM, then week by week he would fall asleep an
hour earlier. By 8 weeks he was falling asleep around 10-11 PM, and wakes up
1-2 times during the night. He’s slept through the night twice! He still nurses
every 2 hours like clockwork. He is gaining better control of his head, and now
can lift it up and hold it when we put him on his tummy. He’s discovered his
hands and feet, and always wants to chew on his fingers. He also loves bath
time now, especially when we dry him off afterwards. He laughs and coos like
he’s at a spa! It’s hilarious! I think he is starting to look more and more
like Rob. I call him “Asian Rob”.
Being at home with Bert has been great, and the thought of leaving him
at daycare is heartbreaking… As a mom, I just worry that no one will love him
like me or play with him like me. I know it’s silly – I went to daycare and
turned out fine! My days as a stay-at-home mom are lazy days! Since I wake up
with him all night, I pretty much stay in bed till after 12 PM, only waking up
to nurse him. I have my “morning” coffee at 1 in the afternoon – ha ha! We
pretty much hang out on the floor of his nursery all day. He lies on the floor
in his play gym, has “tummy time”, and intermittently naps. I have watched a
ton of shows on Netflix. By the late afternoon, I do a little housework, work
out {I’m doing the 30-day Shred}, and wait for daddy to get home. We usually all
go on a walk on the Katy Trail at sundown.
Venturing out of the house has also been a new experience. I was wary
about taking him out before 6 weeks, because I didn’t want to expose him to a
lot of germs. But by the time the 6th week arrived, I was DYING to
get out of the house! The first few times were insane. It takes 2 hours to
prepare: nurse him, bathe him, change him, shower myself and get ready, pack
the car, nurse him again, and load him in the car – whew! By the time I put the
keys in the ignition, I am drenched in sweat and realize I’ve forgotten to feed
myself. So first stop is usually Starbucks for fuel! Ha ha! I’ve quickly realized that my entire schedule now
must revolve around nursing him. I have learned which stores in town have
nursing rooms, and I usually stop in them just to nurse on the way to another
store. But each time I go out has gotten easier, and I feel like I’ve picked up
tricks: how to angle the stroller to get it in my tiny trunk, how to change a
diaper in the car seat, etc.
He had his 2-month check up and shots, and we found out he is in the 80th
percentile for height and weight! I wonder if he will always be bigger than
average? We also determined that his head was slightly misshapen, and our
pediatrician referred us to a cranial specialist. It turns out Bert has
torticollis (neck tightness) which has resulted in a head tilt and contributed
to his plagiocephaly (skull malformation). He’s going to have to wear a helmet
to fix this. They
think it may be something that started in utero. I remember my OB saying his
head was way down in my pelvis starting around 8 months… Anyways, it will be
temporary, and we hope everything will be OK!
Other exciting events: Rob
and I drove up to Hot Springs, Arkansas with Bert and met my parents for a
weekend getaway. It was great! Rob and I got two nights off to go to dinner and
sleep in. My mom and I had a spa day, and we visited the Garvan Woodland
Gardens and got some great family pictures. We had a visit from Uncle Stewart
(Rob’s older brother), Aunt Betsy (Rob’s younger sister) and her husband Dan.
We had so much fun, and I am so glad they got to see Bert while he’s still
little. He’s growing so fast I feel like I need to capture every moment!






No comments:
Post a Comment